Tuesday, July 19, 2016

DAP (Dead Artists Playlist) and OMFG reveal


We've lost a lot of legends already this year: Muhammad Ali, Gordie Howe, David Bowie, and Prince - just to name a few. When Prince passed it occurred to me that nearly all of the top recording artists of the 1980's were gone - Prince, Michael Jackson, and Whitney Houston could be considered the "Mount Rushmore" of 80's music (along with Madonna, of course.)

David Bowie transcended time and space and gender and genre. I never considered myself a Bowie fan, but upon his death I gave his catalogue a closer listen and realized what millions of music fans already knew - the man was bloody brilliant. 

So many talented musicians have gone to The Great Gig In The Sky that comprising a Dead Artists Playlist only took about fifteen minutes. (note: I only counted a band if its lead singer is dead.) Here are twelve of my favorite tracks from artists who are no longer with us. To save space for my OMFG reveal I linked the videos on this playlist rather than embedding them. 

Let's rock! 


Queen & David Bowie - "Under Pressure"
I'm really feeling this song lately, what with all the madness in the world.

The Notorious B.I.G. - "Big Poppa"
Classic hip-hop track from my junior high days. Biggie > Tupac.

Michael Jackson - "Beat It"
You've heard the original. Now play the Fall Out Boy version:




I said I wasn't gonna embed songs on the playlist. Technically, this isn't ;-p 


John Lennon - "Imagine"
Such a pure, beautiful song. 

The Doors - "Light My Fire"
I like the music a lot more than I like Morrison. Blasphemy, I know.

The Clash - "London Calling"
I wrote a musical comparison in college, comparing The Clash to Green Day. 

Joy Division - "She's Lost Control"
My intro to the post-punk icons and one of my all-time faves. 

Prince - "When Doves Cry"
There will never be another Prince. Maybe the most versatile pop star ever?

Stone Temple Pilots - "Trippin On A Hole In A Paper Heart"
I was never an STP fan, but nearly all of their songs were decent to good. 

Sublime - "Santeria"
My (wife's) family's favorite sing-along song. 

Nirvana - "Breed"
Due respect to "Smells Like Teen Spirit", but this was always my fave Nirvana track.

Jimi Hendrix "Purple Haze"
A charter member of the Forever 27 club





*******************************************


Now, the answers to my 'like list' guessing game. We'll do this countdown style... 



#10  Anna Kendrick - actress


Fierce little thing. She reminds me of my crush in a way that I can't quite describe.




#9 Julianne Hough - dancer/actress


Can't act to save her life but she seems like a sweetheart. And those legs...




#8 Kathryn Tappen - TV personality


"K.T." anchors hockey coverage for NBC (and she's married to a former New Jersey Devil.)



#7 Katherine McNamara - actress



The youngest member of my 'like' list. Her hair is quite literally fire.




#6 Victoria Justice - singer/actress



Less trashy than her contemporaries. And less famous. Hmm...



#5 Olivia Munn - actress



I ship her and Aaron Rodgers. (Partial credit if you guessed Olivia Wilde; I do love Thirteen.)




#4 Heidi Watney - TV personality

What, none of you watch Quick Pitch? (Can't blame you for guessing Heidi Klum though.)




#3 Kristen Bell - actress



The voice of Anna is a long-time veteran of the 'like' list. Dax is one lucky bastard. (I ship them, too.)




#2 Taryn Southern - YouTube Star



Sam knows what's up. Not as famous as that 'other' T.S. but much hotter and funnier.




#1 Jennifer Lawrence - actress



The reigning queen of this list five years running (but Taryn's coming for her crown.)



*******************************************


Who are your celebrity crushes? What's your favorite song from an artist who has passed away? Any suggestions I may have missed (for either list?) Let me know in the comments below! 




~

7 comments:

  1. i have never heard a Prince song. i actually... didn't know who he was until he did. which makes me in the minority. the only song on that list i love/listen to often enough is John Lennon's Imagine.

    i don't even think i know an artist that i've listened to over the years that just passed away. like really LISTEN to. it's... hard to think of one but i'm sure there have to be a few.

    AH. i got Anna Kendrick right. she is absolutely stunning though.

    funnily enough, Julianne doesn't look pretty to me, but yes, i do agree that her legs are pretty bloody awesome looking in that photo. if they always look like that, then i want them.

    Kathryn Tappen. not sure about her.

    Katherine is actually very pretty. wow. and Victoria is - skinnier than me i'd give her that.

    so far, i've got about 1 right and partial credit. Wilde is foxy as hell.

    what the hell is Quick Pitch?

    i had to look up who Bell is.

    i got Taryn right. yes. so that's 2 and partial and... ah, that's 3. and i did guess Jennifer Lawrence by the way because i did catch a sight of your tags before and i know.

    top ten was it? of famous people? in no order:

    Katie Cassidy (how was she not on your list?)
    Lea Michele
    Gabrielle Aplin
    Diana Agron
    Keira Knightley
    Simone Simons
    Audrey Hepburn (she should count)
    Willa Holland
    Olivia Wilde (of course)
    Tessa Peake-Jones (look up her younger days, playing as Raquel Turner. she's 59 now so she isn't stunning but she was absolutely gorgeous. here: https://store.bbc.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_645x363/public/onlyfoolsandhorses_1988special_product_1200x675.jpg?itok=_qK_CArH)




    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too surprised you hadn't heard Prince; he peaked in the 80's/early 90's, was more of an R&B artist by then, and I'm not sure what he was up to over the last 20 years.

      The more I hear/read of Anna Kendrick, the more awesome she sounds. She might be another Kristen Bell for me.

      You've never heard of Kristen Bell? She's adorable. Her commercials with Dax Shepard are funny and cute and make me wish I had a marriage like that. And she's so funny in interviews. I could go on about her; I've liked her since Veronica Mars.

      I dont watch DTWS so if you're going by that then yeah, Julianne isn't all that. But she's fucking fire in Footloose - which is where that pic comes from. That pic of Victoria is a bit old as well, she's not that skinny anymore, I don't think? Couldn't find another pic I liked of her, or Kathryn. (And Quick Pitch is a nightly baseball highlight show. I would not expect anyone reading this blog to have seen it.)

      You scored quite well on this. I tried to hide my tags but you were paying attention. Good work!

      As for your list...you can absolutely count Audrey if you wish. Hashtag - Legend. Lea Michele is okay. Agree with you on Ms. Cockburn/Wilde/Sudekis. Keira was scary thin a few years ago but looked much better the last time I saw her. Katie Cassidy was not on my list because I've never heard of her (...Googling...) Ah! Yes, good choice.

      Dianna Agron...I've heard the name but I can't picture her (...Googling...) oh wow. Let's see the rest of your list (...Googling...) hmm, you like that Arrow show, do ya?

      This was fun. I should make a list of ten male celebs I admire, since so many of my followers are female. It's only fair. :-)

      Delete
  2. Outside of Jennifer Lawrence, I have no idea who any of those girls are. (And I'm too lazy to look them up.)

    I still can't believe David Bowie is gone forever. I really hoped to meet him one day. Guess I'll have to wait until I cross over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've never heard of Kristen Bell either? Or Anna Kendrick, or Julianne Hough? Sheesh. I've posted about Taryn before, but even I didn't know who she was until like two months ago. Kat McNamara is on a show called Shadowhunters, which is about vampires or demons or something..not my thing at all. I've known of Olivia Munn from way back when she did Attack Of The Show, but didn't become a fan until she played Sloan on The Newsroom. Her biggest claim to fame might be Aaron Rodgers' arm candy, but she is in the new X-Men movie.

      Her and J-Law in the same movie...how I have not seen this yet?

      Delete
  3. I got three of them right. I'm surprised because I know so little about young celebrities. I think Kristen Bell is adorable. And thank you for putting me at the top of a potential list of editors. I feel quite famous.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You've heard of Kristen Bell! :) I knew half my list was obscure, and some of the first names are common so I set par at two. You got three and the bonus for Olivia Wilde. Well done!

      I wish I had more readers/followers, so you'd feel even more famous. ;-D

      Delete
    2. A good way to get more followers is to follow other people and comment on their blogs. Show them that you're nice and that you're interested in them, and many of them will return your interest and start to follow your blog. You can also ask some blogger who writes about topics that interest you if you can write a guest post for that person's blog. I got a lot of my followers early on because an influential blogger mentioned my blog, and she let me write a post about gratitude for her blog. I don't really work at getting new followers now, but I continue to follow new blogs that interest me, such as yours, and I participate in some blog hops. You seem to like music. You might like to sign up for Battle of the Bands, which a group of us do on the first and fifteenth of the month. You can see some Battle of the Bands posts on my blog. You sign up to participate, write your post (follow the rules), and be sure to visit everyone else who participates and vote in their Battle of the Bands. A lot of those people will visit you, too, and some of them will follow you.

      Delete