Monday, August 15, 2016

Hey, I may be ugly and hate-filled, but I.. um.. what was the third thing you said?





I need a new hobby. 


I've been collecting baseball cards for 30 years. That's... nearly my whole life. And I suck at it. 

I will not bore you with the details (Mich might remember this story from my old blog) but I once sold a Mike Trout rookie card for about $228 while he was stumbling through his first professional season and some kind of virus sapped all his strength. 

Basically, I could not have picked a worse time to "sell low" and I only did it because a) he was playing like crap, and b) my four year old was about to enter the world. 

Mike Trout is now thee best player in baseball, and that same card sells for about $3,000. Not $300. $3,000. 

I mention this because apparently I've done it again. Earlier this summer I sold a rookie card of a Yankees prospect named Aaron Judge. 



He was struggling a bit in the minor leagues and the scouting reports said he would strike out a lot in the pro ranks. I didn't like the idea of rooting for a Yankees player to succeed anyway, so I cashed in his card about two months ago - for an eBay 'best offer' price of $400. 

This past weekend he made his big league debut by blasting a 445-ft home run. He hit another homer Sunday, when the same card I recently had in my collection sold on eBay for $945. 

Okay, so mine wasn't exactly the same. The $945 card was in slightly better condition. Still, had I waited until this weekend to sell his card I probably could have made another $300. (Also, I may have just assured that Judge will be a baseball legend.) 

But honestly... I don't know what I would have done with the money anyhow. I have about $300 in my PP account right now, which was set aside to attend a major sports cards & collectibles show in my area. A show which I will not be attending. And here's why:

When my aunt died last year, she left quite a bit of money for my mother to divide amongst the family. I received a large check equal to about four months of my salary and promptly discussed allocation of said funds with my wife. 90% would be put in the bank to pay our bills, and 10% would be my own personal play money. 

My mother knew I wanted to attend the big sports card show and said that my aunt would have wanted me to enjoy the money and buy some nice cards... and I knew that if I set aside at least $300 and gave my wife every other dollar, she couldn't possibly stop me from going to the show.... 

Right?





We ain't goin ta no damn card show. 


And I can't really blame D this time (though make no mistake - she was absolutely ready to use her veto power). See... I had plans to go back home and see my mom for my birthday weekend. Which was this past weekend. I even took Friday off so I could stay an extra day. 

Then, on Wednesday I got a call from Mom. She fell down the stairs (two, okay? she fell down two stairs) and twisted her ankle. The doctor said she has to stay off it for five days.

Five days. That would be Wednesday, Thursday, and... the three days we would have been in CT. I'm not saying I would ever want my mom to get hurt, but the timing of this made me more annoyed - and less sympathetic - than I should have been. 

Immediately Mom asked, pleaded, and then insisted we re-schedule for this weekend.

The weekend of the card show.




It's just as well. I suck at sports cards anyway. 

_____________________________________________________________



Have any of you heard of Halsey? 



D asked me that question yesterday, and my sports-centric brain immediately thought of the newest New Jersey Devils star. (note the twitter handle)


But apparently she is a musician. And she's from my town. And her mother went to school with D. I think they might even be Facebook friends, or at least they have mutuals who shared some news about the singer, 'cause that's what prompted this whole thang.

Here is a video of a song Halsey performed with The Chainsmokers. I have never heard it before, but this specific song was mentioned and so I shall play it now.






Sounds like every other damn thing on the radio. I ain't exactly hearing the Panic At The Disco influence, but maybe that's in her solo work? (spoiler alert: it isn't)

I like the use of Polaroids in the video because Polaroids are timeless and awesome.

"We ain't ever getting older." Bull f^cking sh!t you're not. Trust me, I'm there. 

I dunno. Maybe you gotta be in love to enjoy this type of music. 



Anyway, here's a sixty second tour of Big Sur by Go Pro Bro featuring MFG. 



Sigh... I'm going to hell.




~






13 comments:

  1. My brothers used to collect baseball cards back in the 70's. I was much too young to appreciate them. Sadly, I have no idea what has become of them. The cards, that is. I know about the bros. duh. So this is my first visit to your blog, and I rather like your style. Keep it up! (because I f'n subscribed, and I don't want to subscribe to dead air!)

    Mary
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I shall try to keep it up. And I do try to post once a week, unless I'm depressed or completely out of ideas. But it wont be dead air, I promise!

      Delete
  2. Sports cards aren't a reliable investment no matter how good you are at buying and selling them. We used to know someone who "invested" in unsold tickets to Woodstock. Do you have any idea how many unsold supposed-to-be tickets to Woodstock are floating around? Stupid so-called investment. My credit union has an investment adviser whose services are free. When I got divorced, I went to her for help when I received my share of the retirement funds. My money is in a safe plan. I am not buying tickets to Woodstock. My kids never even wish me a happy birthday, so if you go to see your mom, you're doing a great thing.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unused tickets to Woodstock seems sketchy. I dont even buy unused tickets to Super Bowls.

      Your kids don't even wish you a Happy Birthday? Not a phone call or text or nothin? That's sad :(

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately, that is the risk of getting into the business of collectibles. Unless you're a successful antiques dealer*, you'll probably never make that much money from it.

    I feel like that girl is super annoying in real life...











    *read: a greedy, soulless, sociopathic shark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're just saying that to make me feel better.






      (thank you)

      Delete
    2. I'm not. I can spot the annoying ones with disturbing accuracy.

      Delete
    3. I don't doubt your abilities, but it's possible that what you find annoying I find endearing.

      Delete
  4. I used to do the whole buy and sell thing with cards but it got to be so much more work and I wasn't enjoying it as much. Now I only buy what I need for my collections and nothing else. It sucks because I don't really have much for trading anymore but it's a sacrifice that saves me money. I would kill to have $300 to spend on baseball cards though. I got in trouble at the last card show I went to for spending around $70. Damn wives.

    It sucks you miss the card show but you'll be grateful for the time with your mom. (I know, it doesn't help much but I'm trying to be supportive. Lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wives just don't get it, do they? Mine was a huge hockey card collector before we got married..but instead of sharing my love of collecting she stopped completely. I guess someone has to be the responsible one.

      Buying and selling for profit drives me insane and I try to avoid it at all costs. But the reason I end up selling cards too soon is because I see something I want to keep - for a set, player collection, or other 'PC' - and there's no other way to pay for it.

      I will be grateful for spending time with my mom, you're right about that. And I'm not too bummed about missing the show, it's the bad timing in general that annoys me.

      Delete
  5. Chris, I'm not much of a baseball enthusiast. I know something i seriously wrong me, right? America's favorite pastime and I'm not on board with the game. Oh, I was when I was a kid growing up in southern WV where there was little to do other than watch weeds grow and go to midget league baseball games to see the boys play, mostly interested in the boys. Of course, I played baseball casually with my friends. It was a lot of fun. DH isn't into baseball, either. So, that works out pretty darn well. But, we both like football. I mainly got into the sport because of him and then it rubbed off on me. It's a lot of fun rooting for what ever team we like the best. This has been going on for many years now. Collecting baseball cards is a big deal and I remember all the neighborhood boys collecting and swapping them. I don't know if they still sell them with bubble gum or not, but that's what I remember. Are these the same sorts of cards you collect or is there something more special to it? I mean getting $300 or $400 for a card sounds awesome to me, but then what do I know? Sounds like, if you had waited you could've done a little better. However, you didn't know it. So, why worry about it? What it is, is what it is? You made my eyebrow raise when you said you didn't know what you would do with the extra money, though. Seriously, you didn't know? You have a child, a wife, and you didn't know what to do? lol We raised three kids on one salary and we struggled. All I kept thinking is, if we had an extra $500 each month our life would be so much easier. Needless to say, we couldn't put anything in savings for eons. While I miss our children being small, I'm glad those financial hardships are behind us. Now, we just need to find DH a job. He's been out of work for a year. Gee, I'm turning this into a novel. Well, at least you can't say I didn't give my comment a personal touch, eh? In closing let me say, I'm glad your mom is ok and that I like the music arrangement of Porter Robinson. Thanks for the introduction and for stopping in to vote in my recent BoTB! Have an awesome evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I don't know if they still sell them with bubble gum or not, but that's what I remember." I remember that too! I think they stopped around 1991 or 92, though there was a "retro" set not too long ago that came with gum - it was wrapped so it wouldn't ruin the cards around it.

      "I mean getting $300 or $400 for a card sounds awesome to me, but then what do I know? Sounds like, if you had waited you could've done a little better." That's really the thing I'm complaining about. I'm very impatient, and I never learn from my mistakes.

      "You made my eyebrow raise when you said you didn't know what you would do with the extra money, though. Seriously, you didn't know? You have a child, a wife, and you didn't know what to do?"
      I have two girls, and they're swimming in Shopkins. Our house is too small for all the things they have. I love them to death but $300 wont pay for pre-K. Its purely my hobby money. The paychecks all go to the fam. And when I'm done with this little hobby of mine (which could be a lot sooner if I keep this up) I'll sell all my cards and pay for my girls' college tuition. Well, maybe a semester's worth...of books. College is too damn expensive!

      "Now, we just need to find DH a job. He's been out of work for a year. Gee, I'm turning this into a novel. Well, at least you can't say I didn't give my comment a personal touch, eh?" That was quite a comment. Thank you for sharing! I hope DH is able to find a job soon. Its tough out there. I've been part time for 3 years, and I cant find FT work anywhere (and I was frickin promoted!) though I am limited by an inability to drive.

      "I'm glad your mom is ok and that I like the music arrangement of Porter Robinson." Porta-who? Oh..the uhh... music. yes. of course.

      My mom is ok. I'll see her this weekend. Not sure how much she'll be able to walk, but she says she's fine so we'll see.

      Hope your evening is awesome as well! :-)

      Delete
  6. HAH!! You DID use that same cartoon!!!

    I apologize for taking this long to respond... Ive had 'issues'...

    Baseball cards... they are a crap shoot... but I do still have a Jim Bunning baseball card at home somewhere... he pitched for the Phillies... my favorite team when I was a kid... I have no reason why... I liked Richie Allen...

    I am trying to get back into writing... as a form of therapy... to help me with this stupid concussion issue...

    Thank you for visiting!!! I will see you the next time!!

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete