Thursday, September 1, 2016

Enjoy The Silence (My Battle Of The Bands Debut)

I have been invited (okay.. allowed) to join Stephen McCarthy's Battle Of The Bands bloghop. 




Here's how it works: On the 1st and 15th of every month, BOTB participants choose two different versions of a song and the artists 'battle' for your votes. On the 7th and 21st of every month, participants count up the votes and reveal the winner. 

You don't have to be part of the bloghop to vote - all you have to do is listen to each cover version (and the original if you're unfamiliar) and leave a comment about your choice.


For my initial attempt at this, I chose one of my all-time favorite tracks: 


Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode

Read the lyrics here

(In my own words...)

Depeche Mode originated in Basildon, U.K. as an electro-pop band during the new wave era of the early 1980's. Throughout the decade the band evolved from synthesizer-centric dance and pop music to a modern rock tour de force, punctuated by their sold-out performance at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California in the summer of 1988. A year later the band recorded the critically and commercially successful Violator, which yielded worldwide hits like "Policy Of Truth", "Personal Jesus"...and "Enjoy The Silence". 


As a child of the late 80's/early 90's, I was raised on a steady diet of MTV. I can still remember being captivated by videos for songs like "Take On Me" by a-Ha, "True Faith" by New Order, and this video - featuring lead singer Dave Gahan as a lonely king wandering about the world, folding chair in tow.

Here's the original video from 1990 (please do not vote for this version). 





Now for the battle!



Our first artist also comes to us from the United Kingdom, Sussex to be precise. 

Similar to Depeche Mode in composition if not sound, Keane rely heavily on piano/keyboard melodies and percussion rather than guitar-driven power. Unlike DM, however, Keane were unable to achieve sustained North American success equal to their fame back home. "Is It Any Wonder?" and "Somewhere Only We Know" (which was used in a recent Battle of the Bands by Cherdo on the Flipside) are the only two singles to chart in the US. However, in the UK, Keane have amassed a baker's dozen of top selling singles

I became a huge Keane fan after hearing these two tracks. I immediately purchased their first two albums Under The Iron Sea and Hopes And Fears and played them on my iPod all through college, often while daydreaming about a gorgeous curly-haired girl in my Economics class (AKA the OG MFG.)
 


Here's Keane with their version of "Enjoy The Silence":






Our second contender is a female-fronted rock band from Italy, Lacuna Coil. I don't know much about them, so let's consult Wikipedia for more info:


Lacuna Coil is an Italian gothic metal band from Milan. Since their formation in 1994, the group has had two name changes, being previously known as Sleep of Right and Ethereal. Inspired by the combination of gothic imagery and music, the members have been known, musically, for composing mid-tempo songs consisting of prominent guitar lines and contrasting dual female/male vocal harmonies to help create a melodic, detached sound. Much of the band's recent material, however, sees a heavier and more down-tuned style, featuring a more distinct bass line and a higher mixing of the guitars within the songs. The band's 2012 release, Dark Adrenaline, peaked at number 15 on the Billboard 200. They have toured internationally and were nominated for a MTV Music Award.

I was first introduced to Lacuna Coil by way of the song "Our Truth", which was their contribution to Guitar Hero: World Tour. Once I heard their cover of "Enjoy The Silence" I was hooked. 


And here it is, Lacuna Coil's version of "Enjoy The Silence":






Now let's hear from you! Who wins this Battle Of The Bands: Keane or Lacuna Coil? Share your thoughts below and don't forget to visit the other BOTB participants listed here:

Battle Of The Bands Blogroll
Arlee Bird - Tossing It Out
Cathy Kennedy - Curious As A Cathy
Cherdo - Cherdo On The Flipside
Debbie D - The Doglady's Den
DiscConnected - discconnected
Janie Junebug - Righting And Editing
Mary Burris - Jingle Jangle Jungle
Michele - Angels Bark
Mike Spain - Mike's Ramblings
Robin - Your Daily Dose
Stephen McCarthy - Battle Of The Bands

(If I've missed any active participants please let me know)



The winner will be revealed September 7th. Hope to see you then!




~




20 comments:

  1. Hmmm a tricky one. The Lacuna Coil version has its merits, but is a little pretentious for my tastes, so I'll go with Keane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One vote for Keane. Thanks for reading & listening!

      Delete
  2. Neither.....sorry
    I am an Abba kinda gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on John...one vote for Abba ;)

      Delete
  3. Welcome to BOTB, Chris! Always nice to have some "new blood". ☺ Believe it or not, I've never heard this song before. That's probably better - no preconceptions. Both covers were enjoyable, but you had me at "Italian" and "Gothic Metal Band"! Lacuna Coil gives it so much more drama and flair. A resounding vote for Lacuna Coil. Going to Youtube to check out more of their material. Thanks for the introduction. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! I think you're right - it might be easier if you haven't heard the original. Glad you enjoyed both covers, and I hope you find more Lacuna Coil tracks you like!

      Delete
    2. Lacuna Coil is fabulous! One of the greatest things about BOTB is discovering music you haven't heard before. Thanks again! ☺

      Delete
  4. Hard to pick; I like them both in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Stephen! Glad I don't have to choose.

      Delete
  5. Welcome to BOTB! Great starting battle. Depeche Mode was a favorite group of mine back in the late 80's to early 90's. I had many of their albums on cassette and listened frequently.

    This is a fine song and the covers are both decent. Lacuna Coil stays truer to the original, but the Keane version is more to my taste. I like the way they took it and make it a song performance to fit their style.

    A vote for Keane.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had them all on cassette too. I've bought a few on CD since but not all of them-I really should.

      Thanks for your vote! I'll be making the rounds tonight and tomorrow :-)

      Delete
  6. Welcome! I'm glad you decided to join us. I'm not familiar with this song and I like it, so it's a cool choice. I vote for Keane. As a pianist, I like the keyboard at the beginning. I like the overall sound. Good voice. What's not to like?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Chris. Welcome to BOTB! Glad to have you onboard.
    Great battle here. Enjoy the Silence is such a great Depeche Mode song. I liked Keane's version just fine but it didn't Wow me. I did however really enjoy Lacuna Coil's version so she gets my vote.

    Again, welcome to the madness... :)

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the Battle of the Bands! You have a great debut. I like both of these versions and my vote might switch on a different day. I will vote for Keane!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Hello, Howdy, CHRIS ~
    I'd never heard this song before. Rock / Pop of the mid-'80s and later is not within my realm of knowledge.

    >>... group has had two name changes, being previously known as Sleep of Right and Ethereal

    What I DO know, however, is that Mike Tyson likes milk on his thereal. [OUCH!]

    Alright, I didn't really care for the singer's voice in Keane, and the song was just too bare-bones. It's like there was no "There" there.

    And although Goth Metal, or even Just-Plain-Metal is not my kind of music, I thought LACUNA COIL's version was actually much better'n I expected. In fact, I even kind of liked it -- which surprises me. So, there's my vote for ya.

    Catch ya later, Chris.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to da BOTB Fam, Chris!

    I recall Depeche Mode from 'back in the day', but for some reason, this particular song was not on my radar.

    I liked Keane well enough. Interestingly enough, I was first introduced to Lacuna Coil via Rockband 3. I really like Our Truth as well.

    Lacuna Coil did not disappoint with this version, either. In fact, I will go as far as to say that I liked their version more than I liked Keane.

    Please give my vote to Lacuna Coil. Looking forward to more really great battles here!

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lacuna Coil for the win.
    I'm going on Spotify right now to listen to more of their stuff.
    Thanks for sharing this, Chris. Great post.
    Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there...I love this song because the 1980's was my decade of squalor....I mean fun:) I was ready to vote for the first band but then I heard Lacuna Coil and just love her voice. I could see her do a song that is very seductive but with a vampire bent to it. Great song choice and welcome. I don't participate because I don't have enough knowledge of music but love music and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Couldnt comment on your latest blog post so will do so here,
    Chin up dearheart

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am also commenting here since you didn't have comments enabled on your most recent post. Hang in there, buddy. I know all about depression/anxiety as I have dealt with it since I was a teenager. It's a mother fucker but keep moving forward. And please reach out if you need someone to talk to. Take care Chris.

    ReplyDelete