Sunday, February 19, 2017

Presidents' Day

This is the second of two "cross-promotion" posts I'm doing across both of my blogs.


Tomorrow is President's Day here in the US, and I thought I'd discuss it today so that I can spend the day off reading and commenting on your blogs.

I usually refrain from political commentary on my sports card blog (#safespaces) and I only refer to my political leanings on this blog indirectly, as a source of stress in my family life. But lately I have been leaving some supportive comments for my fellow progressives, and so I'll add some more partisan thoughts here.

I'm going to share two politically-themed trading cards, and then I'll split this into two different endings, like those old Choose Your Own Adventure books.
 

For a card-centric ending, head over to my other blog The Collector.
For a  more opinionated ending, keep it here. (Or you can read both!)



This man needs no introduction. He's arguably the greatest president since and possibly including George Washington. He won the Civil War. He united the country. He freed the slaves. He also happened to be a Republican, which many of them will remind you of whenever they're accused of being racist. 

Here's the flaw in that theory: it ain't the 1860's anymore. In the 1960's, Democratic President Lyndon Johnson attempted to build on Lincoln's legacy by passing the Civil Rights Act - ending segregation in schools, buses, and businesses. No southern state in the old Confederacy has gone blue since. 


Obviously Hillary Clinton is not our president (but many of us wish she were.)

Many of you reading this have been horrified by the actions of our Tweeter-in-chief. Over the past three months you might have thought to yourself what if? What if Hillary Rodham Clinton had shattered that glass ceiling? What if our 45th president were also our first female president? 

When I scanned this Clinton card I considered a different what if? 

What if the Dems had picked Hillary instead of Barack Obama in 2008?

It's possible the following things don't happen:
  • relentless Republican obstruction
  • the Tea Party
  • Russian and/or Syrian aggression (because Hillary is more hawkish?)

 It's likely the following things don't happen:
  • the Benghazi witch hunt, which led to
  • the investigation of HRC's e-mails, which led to
  • "lock her up" chants and "Hillary for Prison" t-shirts

And it's almost certain the following things don't happen:
  • Donald Trump's political career
  • (overt) racism making a comeback
  • Republican control of SCOTUS for the foreseeable future
  • That horrible thing you just saw on the news

That third one might not be so obvious. I do believe that Senator Turtleface would have prevented President Clinton from selecting a Supreme Court justice to fill Antonin Scalia's vacant seat. However, announcing that the outcome of the 2016 election would determine who gets to fill that vacancy would have backfired on the Cons, since this past election would have been about choosing Hillary's successor. 

Is there any doubt the Dems would have nominated Barack Obama? Is there any doubt that since Obama had not already been president that Donald Trump would not have run, and one of Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, or Jeb Bush would have been the Republican nominee?

Is there any doubt that Obama would have wiped the floor with any one of them?

But that's all hindsight, since there was no way the DNC could have denied Obama the nomination in 2008 without the appearance of being completely unfair and (possibly) racist. 

Even if you had a time machine and you told Obama supporters in 2008 (much like Bernie Sanders supporters in 2016) Let her have this one. He can be secretary of state or something, and run at the top of the ticket in eight years. What do you say?

Bernie didn't have that option, and yet he did what Obama didn't. He conceded. He let Hillary have this one. 


What if?


~

6 comments:

  1. So many things could have stopped Trump if people had taken him seriously. I know I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who was it that said his supporters were taking him seriously but not literally, while his detractors took him literally but not seriously?

      Delete
  2. Horrified as you are, I'm still in a bit of shock as to how this Presidency is unfolding, although I shouldn't be. Every day gives a new surprise and more of the same rhetoric. I can hardly tolerate the news. You are so correct regarding our 16th President, a true Republican. The party platforms have certainly flip-flopped over the century. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to watch the news every night, and read the newspaper/online news fairly often. Not since the election. I think it would have been good for true conservatives if Trump had lost big - but try telling them that!

      Delete
  3. It's not just in the States either..

    Mind you, our Prime Ministers have been divisive since Pierre Trudeau in the 70s. The difference is, of course, most of them had thick enough skin that they weren't upset over getting skewered by comedians.
    There were even cases of leaders of political parties showing up on the Royal Canadian Air Farce to participate in the joke.

    Now, people whine about Justin Trudeau, really giving him no chance to do anything before complaining about everything. After a while it gets annoying.. Then again, maybe it's more noticeable in the age of instant communication..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right - it's the social media age that's handing a megaphone to the miserable masses. For a second I was surprised that people whine about Justin Trudeau; down here I've heard lots of people wish we had a leader like him. But then I remembered that the same thing happened to our young, charismatic, progressive leader Barack Obama - the fear and the venom poured out before he was even inaugurated.

      Delete