Thursday, February 9, 2017

Snow Day



Yesterday started out rough, but it ended up being a good day (it was also Work Mom's birthday and two pieces of funfetti cake were consumed.) The weather was so sunny and warm that I didn't even need my jacket.

My co-worker had asked if I had my shovels and snow boots ready. I thought she was joking. Snow? It's frickin 60 outside! But she was serious. "Haven't you seen the news?"

"I don't watch the news anymore." I told her. "I can't stand it."

Sure enough, she was right. By 7pm last night my daughter's school had announced their closing. I went to bed at around midnight, expecting to get a call from my boss around 7am. Woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Checked my phone for the time. 4:40am. Peered through the window shade to see the snow. It was barely an inch.

I went back to bed.

Not two minutes later my wife woke me up. My boss had called on the house phone to inform me that the office would be closed today. She said he tried to reach me on my cell. I always set my phone to 'alarm only' so that my sleep isn't disturbed by a wrong number (or an Amber alert). Didn't think my boss would call that early, but I'm glad he did.

This day off could not have come at a better time. I desperately needed a day to sleep in and catch up on blogs before this weekend - which will be jam-packed with awful things I really don't want to do. Friday night my 7 year-old gets to watch Finding Dory with her Girl Scout troop (and mommy) while I stay home all night and watch my 4 year old. Then on Saturday I'm being forced to participate in some mystery room thing with my wife's brother, before heading to her parents for her other siblings' birthday party.





But there are exciting things happening 'round here. My wife bought tickets to see her favorite band (and two of my favorites)



We'll be attending the Jones Beach show in New York. Wifey ordered the tix yesterday during a presale; she said that after Ticketmaster bullshit the total came to about $350, or more than twice what we paid to see Muse alone (technically X-Ambassadors opened for them). She blames Jared Leto.

It's almost six months away, and I don't know how I feel about being in the "pit" all day in the middle of summer with hundreds of kids half our age... but I'm looking forward to it because we never get to go out anywhere anymore. (My wife actually justified it by calling it our 'anniversary gift' which shows just how obsessed she is with Muse.)


The other thing I'm very excited about is the 2017 baseball season - and the 2017 baseball cards - will be arriving soon. I won't bore you with the details of how I sold enough cards to pay for a major purchase I'd been anticipating for years (that's what my other blog is for). But I'll share one bit of news...One of My Favorite Girls has her own baseball card!

Hey girl...wanna play catch?

I did not know this until a blogger on my baseball card blogroll pulled this out of a pack. He initially thought she was 16, until he Googled her. She's 23!


While we're on topic, I have not watched one single Taryn Southern video in calendar year 2017. This is mostly because I was busy being sick, applying for a job, and collecting cards but also because I've been watching a lot less YouTube. And lately Taryn's been giving up the comedic stuff and talking about virtual reality and other gadgets that don't really interest me. Honestly I made it a New Year's resolution to stop crushing on Joy and I think that Taryn got caught in the undertow.

Andso I submit her latest video as a litmus test. She posted this...whatever it is..two days ago (Taryn Tuesdays, they're still a thing). I bookmarked it, read a few comments, and embedded it here but I have not watched it yet. Let's watch it together, shall we?



Okay, I haven't hit 'play' yet and I'm already intrigued. She's in bed, after all. And I've missed that pretty face. (pressing play now)

It looks like she's in the Pacific Northwest, because she's driving on a winding mountain road and wearing flannel. (note: i have never been to the Pacific Northwest)

This is where the screen cap comes in. She looks damn cute in her PJ's. Damn cute.

And now we're in a studio, where Taryn tells us a little bit about herself. Finance, huh? That is a very interesting fact I did not know. (Was that on her Wikipedia page?)

I want an autograph! And I missed that whole phase of her carer where she acted and sang and hosted stuff (did I mention she was on Attack of the Show? Seems like the perfect gig for her.)

Now that's the Taryn I know. I wish she'd get back to that fun, silly stuff. (I know, I know... can't do it forever. Expanding your horizons and whatnot.)

And we end at the present, where Taryn kicks open her own path. Because she's got drive, y'all.

Then there's the Ford logo (this was a commercial?) and some quick commentary from her about the cause. (which of course someone surmised is all a dig at the Donald.)
Meet the women who are breaking down barriers in front of the camera, behind it and beyond. #shesgotDRIVE

The Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media mission is to create worlds where women are half of the characters and have half of the adventures.  To show girls what they can aspire to.

If she can see it, she can be it.

Okay, well. That was interesting. I learned more about Taryn than whatever product they were selling, so that's cool. I hope this airs on television, mostly because I want D to know who it is that I've been talking /writing about, and she's not going to seek out someone who only exists online. (She's too busy on Twitter and Muse message boards).

Also, I'm old school. I still believe that TV is special. You can find anything online. 

When Angela was in a Windows 7 commercial I learned about it through her social media. I watched it on YouTube. But when it aired on my TV during the biggest game of the football season it was just different. Angela is on my TV! This is incredible!

I've never met Taryn, and I never will. It's not exactly the best comparison - other than  her commercial being part of a series of commercials with 'real people' instead of established celebrities*. Maybe I'm showing my age, but I'd still like to see Taryn on the tellie. I didn't get to see her episode of Rules of Engagement and I've only caught her New Girl ep in reruns. (that was a trip - she played a Mitt Romney supporter haha). 

 *excluding Ms. Southern, of course




Is it me, or does her voice sound waay different in this? I don't know if she was 'acting' or what, but she sounds so high-pitched and mousey. 


Okay, I gotta go before YouTube sucks me into a Taryn Southern wormhole and I happily spend waste the whole snow day watching all 8,000 of her videos. Told you the internet has everything. Don't let the internet suck you into a wormhole. Go outside. Enjoy yourselves. Which reminds me, I should go out and shovel the snow. 


Have a great weekend!


~


5 comments:

  1. Don't hurt your back shoveling snow like I did. The stuff can be extremely heavy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay after one round, but I have to go back out later. Hope you're feeling better.

      Delete
  2. A mystery room and a birthday party? Bleah.

    Love,
    Janie

    P.S. I'm not sure Taryn is good enough for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I hope you got the snow shovelled and built a surprise snowman for your children. I can hear them shouting out in unison, "Mommy! Mommy! Look what Daddy's done!"
    "Oh Chris darling! You are such a sweetheart!"
    "Shucks! It was nothing honey."

    ReplyDelete